Skip to main content

Woman in the Mirror

 I wrote this poem as a child and this one has been commonly attributed to Cecília Meireles, because I took part in book collectives during childhood. That one has a book on poems for children published. This isn't a nursery rhyme, though..

    I finally translated the whole poem into English (I grew up bilingual). Of course, this is not an exact translation, but rather an unprecedented adaption, as happens with poetry. You can read both versions bellow..


Mullher ao Espellho

Hoje, que seja esta ou aquela
Pouco me importa
Quero apenas parecer bela
Pois seja qual for, estou morta.

Já fui loura, já fui morena
Já fui Margarida e Beatriz
Já fui Maria e Madalena
Só não pude ser como quis.

Que mal faz esta cor fingida
Do meu cabelo, do meu rosto
Se tudo é tinta; o mundo, a vida
O contentamento, o desgosto.

Alex Webb

Woman in the Mirror

Today, being a zero or someone
I no longer care
As long as I'm the pretty one
For I'm dead whoever I dare.

I've been blond, I've been brunette
I've been Madeleine, I've been Trish
I've been Mary and Benardette
But I could not be my own wish.

Does it matter if fake
Colors of my hair and face
If all is ink; the world, and for its sake
Life itself, joy, disgrace.

Alex Webb

Originally posted on June 02, 2024.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Cypress

      Wishing my fans (under a worldwide famous pseudonym ) a wonderful New Year's eve!     I couldn't harvest recognizement for my early work yet, but by the end of 2023 things took an unexpected turn and started to get better, although it still doesn't appear so.     Stay safe. A.Webb Originally posted on December 24, 2024

A micro-story for Halloween

      This is a micro-story a wrote a long while ago. I haven't seen it in a while but I'm briefly recounting it here try to recall the same style I've used before without much effort rushing to be just in time for Halloween and I re-edit it later because I can't remember my exact words now. From then to now, I've just found out with an internet search that the phrase from my short story [spoiler alert] "I'm your period sorry I'm late" became popular humorous expression cataloged by Linguee website. The original version of this story was written by me soon after a trip to Spain, where I learned from Latin Americans I've found there that "Diego" is an usual euphemism name they use to call the devil in  Spanish-speaking countries.      I was doing my habitual tasks on Halloween evening when the bell door rang. There must be kids asking for "treat or tricks", I though, searching for the glass jar half-full of candies. As I open...